A quick and easy soup that - just needs some bread and salad on the side, maybe a dollop of yogurt on top.
1 onion, roughly chopped
5-6 large carrots, roughly chopped
1 t. salt
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
2 t. garam masala or curry powder
1 t. turmeric
1 pinch cinnamon
1 qt. water
1 can coconut milk
2 handfuls of lettuce
1 handful cilantro
freshly ground black pepper
optional: cayenne pepper
1. Heat oil over medium-high
2. Add the onions, carrots, and salt. Cook until onions are soft and everything is browning a little (8-10 min.).
3. Add the spices and stir for another 2 min.
4. Add the water and coconut milk, bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5-10 min.
5. Add the lettuce, simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Add the cilantro, blend with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender. You can also leave it somewhat chunky, but I would suggest making the initial pieces smaller in that case.
7. Season to taste with more salt, black pepper, cayenne.