Monday, June 28, 2010

Happy Father's Day Waffles

This post is a little late, but I made waffle mix for my dad Frank and Andy's dad Buzz for Father's Day, and they asked for the recipe. So here it is! It is based off of this 101cookbooks recipe, but is a little different.

We got a new waffle maker recently (a nice Belgian style model), and ever since I've been making lots of waffles. I think they might be the perfect food; the high surface area to volume ratio makes for ample browning reactions and maple syrup absorption sites. I love these waffles with maple syrup, fruit (had some pureed strawberries and whole blackberries on hand last time), and some plain yogurt on top. I've also had them with the amazing fig butter I made one time, also from a 101cookbooks recipe.

1.5 T poppy seeds
1 c. oat flour
1/2 c. corn meal
1/2 c. rye flour
1-2 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled a bit
2 c. buttermilk
3 large eggs, whisked

1. Preheat your waffle maker.
2. Combine the dry ingredients.
3. Melt the butter, cool a little, then whisk into the buttermilk.
4. Whisk the eggs, then whisk into the butter-buttermilk.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry, and lightly fold to combine. Do not over stir.
6. Follow the waffle maker directions. I like to use a pretty high heat setting (mine goes up to 7 and I put it at 6), and let it go for a little longer after the beep.

Addendum: on my waffle maker, I think this makes 5 or 6 waffles. They are definitely best eaten right away. They get a little soggy if they are sitting around. But they freeze and reheat pretty well. To serve after freezing, microwave for 25-35 seconds, then put in the toaster on a very low heat setting. In my toaster I can put each waffle quarter in one toast slot.

No comments:

Post a Comment